Sunday, July 28, 2013

The Occasionalist New York Author Signing

After our great day in New York City for the the Occasionalist New York Author Signing Jillian and I sat down (after getting the kids in bed and spending some QT with our husbands) and reflected on our day.  We thought it was a great way to share our experiances with you!  Check out the pics after!

Danielle

So what did you think about today Jillian?  I know I had a GREAT time!

Jillian

It was so awesome! I LOVED meeting Tara Sivec! And Jessica Sorronson was sooo down to earth and easy to talk to!!
And I loved how interested they were in our blog! Especially the ones who gave us stuff for giveaways!

Danielle

They really were! All the authors today were really personable. I had figured they would be tired by the time we got there since we were the third group, but none of them showed it!  
Seeing the interest in our blog was a big bonus for sure! I wish I hadn't been sick the last few weeks and was able to print out those business cards!

Jillian

I left with a to be read list longer than I though possible!! I'm gonna be busy! At first I was disappointed that I had only read one of the authors books but now I am kind of excited!! Now I get to read all these books and know where they came from.   

Danielle

Even though I thought I had read a lot of their books, I wish I had read even more too. But it was still exciting to meet the authors. I know I'll be reading Jassinda Wilder and Christine Zolendz books in the near future! They were so unbelievably supportive, generous, and friendly!  
I was really impressed with how organized everything was!  We never felt rushed or crowded at all, and we had time to see everyone!  I’m really sad that we forgot to get back to Karina Halle’s table, I hate that she had a long line both times we were over by her table.   And how did we manage to forget to take a picture with K.A. Linde?!?!

Jillian

Yes!!! Everything ran so smooth.  I would totally recommend going to an Occasionalist event to anyone. 
I know what you mean bout Karina Halle and K.A. Linde, but I loved that we had our very own photographer with us!!!!  Thanks again Jenn!!

Danielle

Yes, having Jenn with us was awesome. I wish we could convince her to join us. She has some great points of view and loves all the same authors as us!

Jillian

Maybe we can wear her down!! LOL

Danielle

We will have to work on Jenn for sure! 

Jillian

I can't wait until we reach 1,000 likes so that we can give away some of the awesome stuff we got today!!

Danielle

I know me too! We scored 4 signed books PLUS tons of signed bookmarks and some cute swag to giveaway! I LOVED the door hanger from Jassinda Wilder - "Do Not Disturb, I'm with my book boyfriend". And those bottle cap magnets from Gail McHugh were so cute, what a unique idea!  I can't belive I forgot to grab condoms from Tara Sivec!

Jillian

She had condoms?!? I'm bummed that I didn't even notice that.

Danielle

Our friend Valerie from Babe with a Book showed me hers from Book Bash; they say something like “Gavin tested vagina approved” and are just awesome!  I guess since we didn’t notice them we can’t be certain she had any left by the time we got there, but I really wanted one!

Jillian

OMG that sounds so cool!!  
So what book did you leave there wanting to read the most? I know I can't wait to read Watch Over Me by Tara Sivec and anything by Jessica Sorronson!!!

Danielle

Oh I'd have to say Plastic Hearts by Lisa De Jong. I loved that she started off as a blogger like us AND Falling Into You by Jassinda Wilder - its going to be a hard choice.

Jillian

Oh definitely!! We will chip away at them all slowly but surely! I did love hearing that Lisa De Jong started off as a blogger. That was very cool!

Danielle

See Jillian, there is hope yet for that book you want to write! Your toe is already in the door! 

Jillian

I know!!! I think I may have to start thinking about it more seriously!! 

Danielle 

How cool (and random) was it that there was a HUGE street fair right outside the Hilton? I wish I was up to walking around it more. It looked really awesome. I've never been to a real NYC street fair before.

Jillian

It was so cool. Only in NYC can you get purses, fried ice cream, sun glasses and $5 "designer" jewelry in one place!!

Danielle

Isn't that the truth!

Jillian

AND I liked being able to save your life a few times...

Danielle

Hey, I WARNED you I'm no good in the city! It's not my fault I'm used to pedestrians having the right of way! But thanks again, 'preciate that!

Jillian

Haha. Anytime! Glad I had quick reflexes or that first bus would have gotten you for sure!!

Danielle

At least I thought to plan our trip in "mommy travel time" so that when we missed our train into the city we still got there in time! 
Talking about the train ride, I’m pretty certain our conversations on the hour and a half train ride home was slowly clearing out our little section.

Jillian

Haha!  Yes!! I think your right, but it was so much fun to be able to talk to other mommies about our kids and the trials of being a mommy!!  So refreshing.

Danielle

Yeah, I think they were okay with the preemie talk. And the birth talk. And the kid talk. But when we broke out into period talk I think we really did that poor guy behind us in, he totally changed cars! 
I have to say though, the guy with the puppy on the train was kind of a cutie, don't you think?

Jillian

Hahaha!!!! You know, I didn't even notice the other people when we were talking. I think I was just so happy to talk to people that understood me I didn't care!!! (I don't even remember the period talk, LOL!!) But yes - him I noticed!! I couldn't not, his dog kept kissing my foot!

Danielle

It was wonderful having a “Moms Day Out”, but when I got home The Hubs was BEAT! I believe his exact words when I walked in the door were "Its so hard being alone with her for 12 hours strait, I don't want to do that again!"  But he said they had a great time and told me all about their day with a huge smile on his face! 
Baby Girl was SOOOOO excited to see me when I got home. She ran up to me and gave me a big hug and said "I missed you, Mama. I no like when you go work, doctor, work." I think she was a bit confused about where I went today! 
How were Hubby and Tiny Tot when you got home?  You know, after Hubby remembered to turn his phone on so he knew when to pick you up!

Jillian

Baby Girl is so cute!! My Hubby had some help (my mom and sister were around) so he wasn't as beat, but Tiny Tot was very excited to see me! She gave me a bunch of kisses and then insisted I take her in the pool!!  Hubby claimed he loved his day with her. Lets see how he feels after day 2 tomorrow (going to Cirque du Soleil!!)

Danielle

That is awesome!  The Hubs and I had an awesome time when we went!

It was a great day, we have to do it again next time there is an event in NYC. Hopefully next time I'll be able to wears shoes that actually match my outfit instead of those ugly seekers! And you know... it wasn't that bad, I ACTUALLY enjoyed being in the city today! I think it was the awesome company. There might be hope for conversion for me yet!

Jillian

Hahaha! Yes, all in all it was almost the perfect day (just wish you felt better!!) 
I think we may need to do Danielle school of NYC training before you fully convert!! Otherwise I’m afraid you might hurt yourself or someone else!!

Danielle

Or walk in front of a bus (again). 
It was a great day, so glad we went.   

Jillian

 Me too! Thanks for arranging it! 

Danielle

My pleasure!



No comments:

Post a Comment