Sunday, July 28, 2013

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

This book was beautiful.  Its the only word I can think to describe this story.  I picked it up knowing nothing about it other than it won the Goodreads Best Book of 2012, was self published originally and got signed and that it was a bout a kid with cancer.  Based on this, I expected to cry, and I did, but what I didn't expect was to meet two incredibly intelligent kids falling in love, witty sarcastic humor, and raw honesty about life.

Hazel is 16, and living with cancer.  She goes to school, community college since she got her GED, comes home and is content to just be with her parents.  Her parents make her attend a support group for "cancer kids" where she meets Augustus (aka Gus). I loved watching Gus and Hazel fall in love and share their love of literature.  Gus is a pretty amazing guy and I just might love him myself!  His outlook on life is so refreshing and unique I loved every second of getting to know him.

As a parent, this book made me think about things I never wanted to, and I hope I never have to face them.  Put this on your TBR list and read it, it was a very empowering read.


No comments:

Post a Comment