Monday, July 7, 2014

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult


I purchased the audiobook of The Storyteller and was hooked from the very beginning, just as I expected from a Jodi Picoult novel. I absolutely love this author. She weaves an intricate web of plot twists that make it almost impossible to discuss the book without revealing spoilers. I found myself hurrying up my daily plans so I could spare some time to listen to this audio (even volunteering to go to the store solo so I could listen to it on my ipod in the car). Picoult always proposes controversial “what if” topics. In this book, she writes about a  former Nazi SS guard of Auschwitz who asks a woman (whose grandmother is a survivor of the holocaust) to kill him but only after forgiving him of his past. There are a lot of side plots (including a vampire story) that all come together at the end. I was very grateful that the audiobook had several narrators so I was able to understand more readily when a side story came about.

This is the second audiobook by Jodi Picoult that I have listened to even though I prefer to read her books so I can create the voices and characters more easily in my head. However, I was not disappointed and I seriously loved this book. I usually try to form my own theories while I read, but I found myself being controlled like a puppet while the puppeteer (Picoult) led me along on a wonderful journey and I kept wondering what other twist she was about to throw my way. I didn’t want to guess because I didn’t want to ruin it for myself later on in case I was right. I just wanted to experience the journey how she intended us to: to trust her to let the characters determine what they felt was justifiable (kill Josef, forgive him, or call the authorities and let him answer to the law). Picoult’s books don’t necessarily have a HEA; they are more humanistic (real and raw and perhaps bittersweet) and I expected nothing less from this book. I’ll let you read/listen to The Storyteller and let me know if you think justice was served. Personally, I’m not sure what I would do in that scenario, especially after learning all Sage learned throughout the book. It’s definitely a what if that will get you thinking. 
Review by Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment