Thursday, July 17, 2014

Looking for Alaska by John Green

Back when I was a teenager, I used to dream about all the freedom I'd have if my mom sent me to boarding school.  I imagined an experience very much like the one in Finding Alaska, actually!

I really liked Miles. I really connected to him.  Its very uncommon for me to connect to male characters the way I did with Miles and it was a welcomed change of pace. Miles felt awkward and nerdy in his old school but he really uses his new boarding school to find a way to fit in.
Alaska is the crazy friend with the zest for life that we all wish we had.  She seems to hold nothing back and acts on her first impulses.  There is nothing shy or reserved about her.

Sadly, the downside to this story was that it was rather predictable.  While I enjoyed the read and the writing, I saw what was to come around the 25% mark.  I even remember thinking to myself, "no way that will happen, its way too obvious."  But, alas, I was wrong; it did happen just as I expected.  I think figuring things out so early the book did not have the emotional impact for me that this type of story line tends to.

Overall, I enjoyed Finding Alaska and living out my teenage fantasy though John Green's eyes.  I think this would be a great book to introduce your teen into the world of reading!
Review by Danielle

Where to buy 

 Amazon | Barnes & Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment