Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Children's Book Honor Roll

As much as this blog is about books, its also a little bit about motherhood. I'm not sure about the rest of you and your kids but I know Jillian and I spend a considerable amount of time reading to Baby Girl and Tiny Tot, sometimes we read books over... and over... and over... and over.... It really helps our sanity when we like the books too, so we are sharing some of our favorites with you! Just like in the Book Honor Roll these children's books are in no particular order.

Danielle's Picks


On the Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman

Illustrated by Nancy Tillman


In this sweet story you read about all the ways the world celebrated the night your precious little one was born.  The illustrations are whimsical and relaxing to look at.  This is a great one to add to your nightly bedtime routine! (Honestly, I've loved every book of hers that I've read.)






Love You Forever by Robert N. Munsch

Illustrated by Sheila McGraw

WOW.  The first time I read this I couldn't even speak at the end.  I quickly read it on the phone while I was on the phone with my mother and started bawling (we're talking ugly crying here).  She asked what was wrong, so I read it to her... then we were both so choked up we couldn't speak.... yeah, read it!






Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems

Illustrated by Mo Willems

Want to get a little silly with your mini-me?  This book is a great way to get started!  If your kid is anything like Baby Girl they will love to yell to the Pigeon "NO!" every time he asks to drive the bus.  They may pick up a thing or two about limits too.  There is a whole series of books staring the Pigeon and his friends too.






If I Could Keep You Little by Marianne Richmond

Illustrated by Marianne Richmond 

This is a story for us moms who have a hard time letting go and letting our babies grow up and become the amazing adults we are raising them to be.  This would be a great story to read together with your beginning reader too as every other page is written from either the parent's point of view or the child's.  Its a very sweet reminder that we can't and shouldn't keep our children little forever.





The Lorax by Dr. Seuss

Illustrated by Dr. Seuss

It might be the Biology teacher in me, but I love the lessons the Lorax teaches us.  Speaking up for those who can't defend themselves, taking care of the things you have, and caring for the Earth are lessons that are taught by The Lorax.  The Seussian style is both fun to read for you and listen to for your wee one.  On a side note I really liked how the full length movie filled out this classic story and gave it a fulfilling conclusion.







Jillian's Picks


Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin and John Archambault

Illustrated by Lois Ehlert

I have read this book to my daughter no less than 500 times.  It is so catchy, I sometimes find myself singing he words to myself when she isn't even around.  Yes, even one time while I was at work.  Not by myself.  I figure if it gets stuck in my head so easily, it'll be a great way to teach Tiny Tot her alphabet in no time!







Pajama Time by Sandra Boynton

Illustrated by Sandra Boynton

What mom doesn't want to make SOMETHING about bedtime more fun? This book is so cute and fun to read, and gets Tiny Tot excited for her bedtime routine whenever we read it.  Sometimes even in the mornings when we read it she wants to go in and get her PJs on.  That being said, it is no miracle worker so don't expect your little one to march them selves right to bed when its over.





Pinkalicious by Victoria Kann and Elizabeth KannIllustrations by Victoria Kann

This book is technically for kids a little older than the Tiny Tot, but she LOVES it.  Her older cousin, who she idolizes gave it to her and we have to read it multiple times a day.  Its a really cute story with lessons on good manners built in.  But really, the biggest "side effect" of reading this book so frequently is an insatiable craving for cupcakes...pink ones!







Elmo's ABC book by Deborah November
Illustrated by Carol Nicklaus

Another really cute way to teach the alphabet to the Tiny Tot.  She is like any other two year old and OBSESSED with Elmo, so this is also in our daily rotation.  A sign of a good kids book is when your child says "again, again" and you don't cringe...that pretty much sums up how I feel about Elmos search for his favorite letter.







The giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
Illustrations by Shel Silverstein

This book is my childhood.  I can remember reading it with my mom every night and sobbing each time, as if it were my first time hearing about this love story between this boy and his tree.  The first time I read it to Tiny Tot, I of course started crying, and I think she thought I was crazy.  But now, when we read it she kisses the tree and hugs the book to try and comfort it when it is sad, and always claps at the end.  She had no choice but to love this book! I shoved it down her throat from birth!



No comments:

Post a Comment