Thursday, March 6, 2014

I found my heart in West Virginia by Chelsea Falin and Cory Hammond

The story line of “I Found My Heart in West Virginia ” was very good, and it could have been a GREAT book. However, it fell a little flat for me in a number of ways.

I think my main issue with this book was the writing style. It was a book set in the American South, and I would have been fine with that, however, the author went a bit too far trying to write with a Southern drawl. It was distracting for me and felt a little forced at times. The dialogue between the characters didn’t flow well and I couldn’t tell if it was because of the accent, or something else.

My second issue with this book was that everything was so ‘nice’. Almost too nice…without any drama. Not that every book needs to have death, heartache or be a thriller, but I felt like it was all just very even and didn’t invoke ANY emotion from me. There were too many details in places that weren’t necessary and not enough in places that would have helped the story line a bit. There were two key points in this story that could have helped create the emotional connection I needed. One was a car crash that could have been built up so much more and another was the birth of a premature baby. However, both scenes tied up nice and neatly with little to no drama or emotion at all. They lacked the story arc that I’ve come to expect when I’m reading.

I really wanted to like this book, but I almost didn't finish it. I kept reading in hopes that I would feel that connection to the characters that I always feel with a good story. Unfortunately that didn’t happen this time.

Review by Jillian

No comments:

Post a Comment