Monday, October 20, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: A Heartless Design (Secrets of the Zodiac #1) by Elizabeth Cole

A Heartless design is the first in the Secrets of the Zodiac series. We have mystery, romance, secrets... my kind of book. I don't often read historical romances; however, sometimes a synopsis will have me intrigued so I feel compelled to read it. I'm really glad I read this book. Cordelia is a strong female character who is considered a spinster (unmarried at 27 in the early 1800's) but not because she hasn't had proposals. She, in fact, has been proposed to by an earl and a prince among many other men. Yet, she turns them down. Why? Well, she has a secret and it must be kept. Sebastian Thorne, a spy for the Crown, crosses paths with Cordelia which makes for a fun read. He's immediately taken with Cordelia but with his lifestyle as a spy, he doesn't know if he can balance the role of a husband with his demanding job.

I found myself reading nonstop. This was an interesting concept and I easily found myself feeling as if I was there in the 19th century along with the characters. I kind of wished there was more back story for the maid, footman, and butler. I felt they could have had a story themselves or that there could have been a novella set before this book that showed how they came to be Cordelia's employees. I really enjoyed this book and will definitely be reading the others in the series.
Review by Amber

Where to buy

Amazon | Barnes and Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment